A relatively safe mountain region where you can enjoy picking and choosing from an abundant array of courses, making planning easy.
Please make your plans according to the weather, your physical condition, and the experience levels/hiking abilities of those in your group.
The recommended trail entrance for all three mountain huts is Sakuradaira (please see the map).
There are a great many ways to enjoy Yatsugatake in a short timeframe! Below are our recommended hiking plans.
Fully enjoy the Southern Alps on a round trip of southern Yatsugatake’s main peaks
Minotoguchi → Minoto → Akadake Kosen → Mt. Iodake 2,760 m → Iodake Mountain Hut (stay overnight).
Trail entrance to lodging: 5 hrs 30 min (excluding breaks)
* Day 1 short version: Sakuradaira → Natsuzawa Kosen →Natsuzawa Pass → Mt. Iodake → Iodake Mountain Lodge. Trail entrance to lodging: 3 hrs (excluding breaks). The trail is easy to walk.
Mountain Hut → Mt. Yokodake 2,829m → Mt. Akadake 2,899ｍ → Gyoja Hut → Minoto → Minotoguchi
Lodging to descent exit: 6 hrs 10 min
* If you have spare time on Day 2, circumnavigating Mt. Amidadake (2,805 m / 9,203 ft.) after Mt. Akadake is also recommended (adds 1hr 15min to the course above).
Enjoy Yatsugatake’s popular peaks (Mt. Iodake & Mt. Tengudake) in a short trip!
Sakuradaira → Natsuzawa Kosen → Neishidake Mountain Hut → Mt. Nishi-Tengudake 2,646m → Neishidake Mountain Hut (stay overnight)
Trail entrance to lodging: 4 hrs 30 min
* After checking in and dropping off your luggage at the mountain hut on Day 1, take a round trip to Mt. Tengudake. If the weather is poor, you can delay climbing Mt. Tengudake until the next day, for safety and/or clearer views.
Mountain Hut → Natsuzawa Pass →Mt. Iodake 2,760ｍ → Akaiwanokashira → Natsuzawa Kosen → Sakuradaira
Lodging to descent exit: 3 hrs 20 min
* If you have spare time on Day 2, it is also possible to take a round trip from Mt. Iodake to the alpine plant treasure trove, Mt. Yokodake. Adds 2 hrs to the course above (excluding breaks). Toilets are available at Iodake Mountain Hut.
Make the most of the hot spring while also enjoying some leisurely hiking (recommended for beginners)
Sakuradaira → Natsuzawa Kosen → Natsuzawa Pass → Mt. Iodake 2,760m → Akaiwanokashira → Natsuzawa Kosen (stay overnight)
Trail entrance to lodging: 4 hrs 10 min (excluding breaks)
* After checking in and dropping off your luggage, leisurely round trips to each mountain are possible.
* Relaxing in the hot spring on Day 1 and heading out to Mt. Iodake or Mt. Tengudake the next day is also fine.
* It is also fine if you wish to relax in the hot spring after climbing Mt. Iodake or Mt. Tengudake on Day 1, and leave early the next morning.
Kosen → Natsuzawa Kosen → Neishidake Mountain Hut → Mt. Nishi-Tengudake 2,646 m → Natsuzawa Kosen → Sakuradaira
Lodging to descent exit: 5 hrs 40 min
* A free shuttle service is provided between JR Chino Station and Sakuradaira (trailhead) for Natsuzawa Kosen guests.
(Please note that seats are limited, and departure times are not flexible. Provided on a first-come-first-served basis.)